Saturday 25 March 2017

Florida Shakedown

Home for the week: Seminole Lake Gliderport



A bit of a busy day yesterday. Rig the glider, load the airspace/waypoints, try to learn the Clearnav. Turn the power off to go back to the clubhouse. Turn the Clearnav on - reload the airspace and waypoints (where'd they go?!). Moving from LX to Clearnav is proving trickier than I'd hoped.
Slowly learning the Dark Art of Clearnav

A spot of scrutineering to get the wing loading at 52kg/m2 at 1096lbs all up. Moving from metric to Imperial and back again is also a pain. There was an unofficial practice yesterday and I promised myself I wouldn't fly it but would get used to the glider and instruments first. 20 minutes after launch I went through the start line with 4 other guys still pressing buttons and amongst other things trying to find how to get audio vario. Why can't Clearnav have a volume knob like LX?!!!

"Swamps to the West of me...

...Theme Parks to the East, here I am, stuck in the middle with you"


There were 5 kt climbs around (I think - couldn't find the average to start with) to over 5000' amsl but the terrain. My goodness the terrain. I would rather fly Rieti or the Alps! There's few landing options although most of those are on airfields. I managed to get down to 1200' so got a good look at options but climbed away and wandered back slowly getting more to grips with the avionics. By the end of the flight I think I had most of them working OK.
Franklin Burbank said there was a Butterfly Lake pointing at the site: he wasn't wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment